Save Pets from Suffocation

Target: Tom Greco, President of Frito Lay North America

Goal: Prevent pets and small children from suffocating, by adding warning labels to potato chip bags.

Potato chip bags and other packaged foods pose a serious threat to animals and small children. A growing number of pets, particularly dogs, have suffocated from chip bags. Oftentimes, the dogs find the chip bags and stick their heads in to grab the crumbs, causing a vacuum seal around the neck area which causes the dog to suffocate.

The “Prevent Pet Suffocation” website and Facebook page have made it their sole duty to educate people about the suffocation risks of potato chip bags. This group is helping people become more aware of the dangers of chip packaging, and will hopefully get the attention of Frito Lay President Tom Greco.

These accidents with dogs happen more than they need to. If Frito Lay were to put a warning label on their packaging, it would cause people to be more careful when they throw away their bags. This is a simple request that can prevent many pet deaths.With your help, we can help the Prevent Pet Suffocation website bring this issue to light, and inform the Frito Lay Company that a small warning could make all the difference.


Dear Mr. Greco,

Frito Lay’s chips are one of America’s favorite snack foods. Everyone enjoys your chips, including our pets that try to grab the last bits of our crumbs out of the bag. Although this may seem harmless, it is causing the deaths of many owners’ pets. Dogs try to grab the crumbs, but instead get caught in the bag. They end up being suffocated within the bag. The bag’s strong plastic material is hard for any dog to get out of or rip open. This has become a huge issue. If you just add a small warning label on your bags, it would make a difference. People would see the warning label and be more careful when discarding their bags so that their pets don’t get into them.

This small label will undoubtedly save the lives of many pets as well as small children. Help owners keep chip bags away from their pets by adding this warning label.


[Your Name here]

Photo Credit: Marita Grasshoff via Wikimedia Commons

Sign the Petition

  • Only your name will be displayed. By signing, you accept our terms and may receive updates on this and related causes.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
FacebookCare2 NewsTwitterEmailShare

One Comment

  1. Florin Fecioru says:

    You can make the packaging with a tear line at the middle of the bag, so you can eat the chips more easily when the bag starts getting a little empty (and avoid getting your hands oily) and at the same time, when you’re finished with the chips, the bag doesn’t represent a suffocation hazard. Should be a win-win for everybody, and it’s not that big of a deal to implement.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *




2982 Signatures

  • Carol Hall
  • Mark Bould
  • Carrie Wilson
  • Jacinthe Presseau
  • Sophie Debbane
  • eve roberts
  • Janet Delaney
  • Jacqueline Donel
  • K.V. Adamski
  • Jeanette Fourie
1 of 298123...298
Skip to toolbar